"...Let Her Be Veiled."
Ten Principles of Headship
Man and woman in 1 Corinthians 11 each represent primarily their individual callings. Secondarily, they represent the calling of all mankind before God, each from different perspectives.
* * * * * * * * * *
- God's design for man and woman is in many ways similar to the relationship of Christ to the Father. John 5:19,30, 6:38, 8:28, 12:49, 14:10,24, 17:1; 1 Cor. 15:27-28.
- The headship and authority of Christ are absolute because He is in total submission to His head, God. Likewise, the headship and authority of man and woman are limited to and dependent upon their submission to their respective heads. Matt. 8:8-10; Rom. 13:1-7; Acts 4:19, 5:29,42; 1 Cor. 11:1, 3; Heb.13:17. (The word obey in this last passage means "to persuade, to win over". The obedience suggested is not by submission to authority, but resulting from persuasion. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words.)
- All mankind, but especially men symbolically, are to exalt and expose the glory and wisdom of Jesus. Rom 8:19; 1 Cor. 11:7; 1 Thes. 2:12; 2 Thes. 2:14; 2 Pet. 1:3
- All mankind, but especially women symbolically, are to cover and conceal the glory and wisdom of mankind. 1 Cor. 11:7, 14:34; 1 Tim. 2:8-15.
- The ability of mankind to accomplish the supernatural is the hidden power of God operating through the human instrument. John 14:10-14; 1 Cor. 1:25-31.
- The principle attitudes which release God's power are first, a realization of personal weakness and need, and secondly, faith in God's power and provision. Matt. 5:3; 2 Cor. 12:7-10.
- Man and woman are interdependent, as also are Christ and mankind, and the Father and Christ. John 14:10,20; 1 Cor. 11:11-12, 15:27-28.
- Man's pride, causing him to fail to seek God's glory and wisdom, and to prefer his own, will always cause division and strife. 1 Cor. 1:11-17, 11:17-19 (Verses 18-31 explain a cause of divisions. Note especially the concluding verses.)
- A woman's covered head says for her personally:
- I will not use any outward power, such as beauty, words, or withholding favors to manipulate or control men. 1 Pet. 3:1-6
- I will put my full trust in God for security and provision. Matt. 6:25-34
- I am no longer deceived by Satan's lie that equality is a thing to be grasped. Gen. 3:4-5; Phil. 2:5-6.
- A man's uncovered head says for him personally:
- I will forego the honor and glory of mankind so I may seek the honor and glory of God. Luke 16:15; John 5:41,44; Rom. 2:6-8.
- I will lead out in following God's order by submitting to my head, Christ. 1 Cor. 11:1,3.
- I will be a self-giving instrument of Christ's love and provision to all those who are under my authority, demonstrating to them all the virtues of Christ. Eph. 5:25; 1 Tim. 5:8; 1 Pet. 5:2-4.